Major changes from previous versions
LaoScript 8 has been totally redeveloped for use with 64-bit editions of
Windows and applications and Lao Unicode fonts, while maintaining compatibility
with existing (32-bit) applications and the older, non-Unicode, Lao fonts used in
LaoScript 8 provides a simpler user interface and improved dictionary
management. It uses
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0,
which should be downloaded and installed if it is not already installed on the
computer being used.
LaoScript 8 does not require earlier versions of Lao Script for Windows
to be uninstalled, but cannot be used at the same time as any earlier version.
The Thai to Lao translation features of earlier versions have been significantly
improved for LaoScript 8. (Gold Edition only.)
Use of Lao with Adobe InDesign (CS2 and later) and other Adobe applications remains
supported (with Lao Unicode fonts, especially MX-series fonts), but further development
of the Lao Add-In for Adobe InDesign has been discontinued, and that Add-In is no longer
included and cannot be supported.
LaoScript 8 Features
LaoScript 8, Standard Edition provides:
- Compatibility with both 32-bit and 64-bit applications on Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows® XP.
- Unicode and non-Unicode Lao/English TrueType fonts, including Saysettha OT, a professionally hinted
OpenType Lao Unicode font especially optimized for screen and webpage use,
and the MX-series of OpenType Lao Unicode fonts designed for use on both Windows and Mac OS-X.
- Lao keyboard mapping, allowing Lao text to be entered
either using the standard Lao typewriter-style keyboard layout, or phonetically, using an easy-to-learn
romanized way of writing Lao syllables.
- Optional word-wrap at syllable or word boundaries by automatic insertion of invisible break characters,
either as text is typed or afterwards in selected text using menu commands.
- Lao spell-checking, using standard and user-defined Lao word lists and syllable rules.
- Lao menu Add-Ins for Microsoft Office (Microsoft® Word, Microsoft® Excel, Microsoft® Powerpoint), providing font conversion and
sorting according to Lao alphabetical order.
- Lao menu Add-On for Libre-Office providing spell-checking, font-conversion and sorting
according to Lao alphabetical order.
- Conversion of Word documents with fonts that use different font-code conventions for Lao
(e.g. from alice_5 to Alice5 Unicode, Saysettha Lao to Unicode fonts, or vice-versa).
- Sorting of Lao text in a table or by paragraphs, according to either of the two commonly used
alphabetization conventions for ordering Lao.
- Romanization of Lao text (in Word documents).
LaoScript 8, Gold Edition also includes:
- Automatic translation or computer-assisted manual translation of text in Word documents from Thai to
- Lao Add-In Microsoft Access, both 32-bit and 64-bit editions. Provides an API with a set of VBA functions
that can be called from queries or your VB code.
For a description of features of Lao Script for Windows, Version 7, please see
Version 7 Features.
LaoScript 8 Release Notes
- 8 Dec 2011 LaoScript 18.104.22.168: first non-beta release.
- 15 Dec 2011 Build 22.214.171.124: corrected error in initial release which would not accept high-valued passwords.
- 16 Dec 2011 Build 126.96.36.199: corrected some errors in phonetic entry conventions.
- 20 Dec 2011 Build 188.8.131.52: corrected license activation to allow user names longer than 16 characters to be
- 05 Feb 2012 Build 184.108.40.206: added Lao Menu to Ribbon or Menu Bar for Word Add-in, corrected phonetic input errors.
- 13 Feb 2012 Build 220.127.116.11: added Lao menus to Excel and PowerPoint Ribbons, corrected romanized input and sorting.
- 18 Feb 2012 Build 18.104.22.168: revised PowerPoint AddIn, improved reliability with old fonts.
- 25 Feb 2012 Build 22.214.171.124: corrected error trying to initialize AddIns when Excel or PowerPoint not installed.
- 03 Mar 2012 Build 126.96.36.199: updated trial-key activation to avoid conflict with Version 7 licenses. Trial keys
will no longer be available for older builds.
- 02 Jun 2012 Build 188.8.131.52: now includes Free Edition for personal use if only keyboard mapping and fonts are needed.
- 27 Jun 2012 Build 184.108.40.206: adds support for silent installation and automatic activation, and also
enhanced "Saysettha 95" series fonts, supported for use with compatible applications.
- 25 Sep 2012 Build 220.127.116.11: now includes Lao Add-In (API) for Microsoft Access and
instructions for use.
- 08 Dec 2012 Build 18.104.22.168: adds a Lao Add-On for LibreOffice/OpenOffice (Writer and Calc).
Note: If a user name contains any "upper-ASCII" character in the first 16 characters
(such as an accented vowel), password matching will probably fail. In that case, email Lao Script for Windows Support
for new license credentials.
LaoScript 8 User Guide
Instructions for using LaoScript 8 are provided in the following pages:
This User Guide can also be found in the Start - All programs menu when LaoScript 8 is installed.