A fix for the missing in Pagemaker and other documents
Description of Problem
Many applications when used with Saysettha Lao and similarly-coded fonts do not display the character when used with current versions of Windows. The reason is that the codepoint (173, or 0xAD) used for is now used for an optional hyphen code in many applications.
For example, documents created with Pagemaker using Saysettha Lao displayed correctly on older versions of Windows, but now hide the character. Exporting the documents (or opening them in Adobe® InDesign) also drops the characters.
A Fix for the Problem
Lao Script for Windows Version 7.1 has updated all of the Saysettha Lao series of fonts by adding an additional code-point for the character. The fonts are otherwise unchanged, and the original code-point remains, so existing documents with applications which display correctly will be unaffected.
How to Get the Fix
- Close Lao Script for Windows and any application Windows that may be using the existing fonts. (You may need to log off and on again to do this.)
- Uninstall the the existing Saysettha Lao series fonts (Saysettha Lao, Alice0 Lao, Bubble Lao, etc.) from Control Panel - Fonts.
- Download and install Lao Script for Windows Version 7.1. This will install the modified versions of those fonts.
How to Apply the Fix
The following instructions can be used with Pagemaker, or any other application which allows the text to be edited and has a Find and Replace function:
- Open the document window.
- Select Find and Replace.
- Select the Find box, and enter the character, either using the (mapped) Lao keyboard, or by entering Alt+0173 (hold the Alt key while typing 0173 with the number pad).
- Select the Replace box, and enter Alt+0223 (hold the Alt key while typing 0223 with the number pad).
- Choose Replace All to make the hidden characters visible.